Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A word of Thanks

     So, I was watching The View today, yes, occasionally i catch Whoopi Goldberg, because i love her (the other women kinda drive me insane; who's too liberal, who's too conservative, who's too Barbara Walters...) and they discussed an article in New York magazine called, "I Love My Kids.  I Hate My Life."  Now, let me preface this rant with I HAVE NOT READ THE ARTICLE...i am responding to the discussion by the women on The View...
Apparently, more and more parents are coming out and admitting this "truth."  For them, there is a direct correlation between having children and their unhappiness.  I canNOT relate to this.  Jokingly the other day on my FB page, i said, "how can one minute my children make me so insane i want to scream and the next cry because they are growing up so fast i feel like its all slipping away; and i want to squeeze them and hold them and never let them go. Parenthood sucks. I mean its amazingly joyful blah blah blah."  This is a good opportunity to qualify that remark.  My children are air to me.  They are what makes the sun come up and go down.  They are why i get out of bed, put my best foot forward, try each day to be a better person...they are the glue that keeps my heart held together.  Thus, you may understand how they are the first and quickest to break it.  When my child is left out of a game of tag on the playground - when he is teased for his speech - when they have to monitor her respiratory rate because she "isn't thriving" - when when when - and God Help Me - IF IF IF (dont even get me started on the world of IF's)....its enough to bring you to your knees.  On top of that you worry; you choke on thoughts like, "am i getting this right?  Doing a good job?  Teaching them to have a good moral compass?   Am i screwing them up completely????  What are other mom and dads doing?"   And finally, lets face it, they are not always little rays of sunshine; "who chipped their brother's tooth?  You fed the baby WHAT?  Why, WHY would you think its o.k. to use your SOCK as WIPE YOUR ASS?!?"  So, what I'm saying is...every day, in every way, you feel like an emotionally worn out dish rag - so yeah, it sucks sometimes.  But then - they put their hand on your cheek when you're sad, (really), they kiss your boo boo's better, they tell you "good job" for cooking dinner, and you watch as they hand their baby sister her binki and dolly when she cries...they giggle until they cry, run like there is nothing holding them back, smile at you like you make their sun come up and go down....and you know, you know that if there is no heaven its because you've been given this time.  With these children.  And though there are days when you shatter apart, theirs are the little hands that pick up the pieces and hold you together.  They drive me insane, and keep me sane.
But though i cannot relate to these parents who "Love their kids. Hate their lives..." I have seen how there are responsibilities and anxieties and needs and unfair lots dealt and obstacles that can keep the joy away - so this is not a critique or a judgment of others....i guess its just my way of saying how grateful i am.  I am unfamiliar with this sad sentiment (and it is sad indeed) - and I am fortunate enough to Love my kids. Love my Life.  Thank you my babies, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment