Thursday, February 10, 2011

It's called Guggle-Muggle (and no its not a spell from Harry Potter)...


So, this is actually a thing.  When i was pregnant and couldn't take cough syrup or cold medication, my mother would make me a batch of Guggle-Muggle - a cure for the cold she swore by my entire life - to help me find some relief.  I  thought this was some quaint boozy drink she picked up at college that she held onto fondly...but NO, it is real!  My household is sick today, and in lieu of medication, I thought I would whip up a batch of the old remedy, so i Googled it to find the recipe and sure enough, it is a real drink.  As a matter of fact, it is an old Jewish remedy that consists of warmed milk  and honey, usually with a raw egg yolk mixed in at the end topped off with a shot of brandy OR a bunch of citrus fruits (cooked/strained) and honey with a shot of brandy/whiskey to finish it.  My mother always made the latter (one grapefruit or apple, one orange,and one lemon cut and thrown in a pot with about 1-2 cups water - cooked down, pumelled then strained into a cup - add honey generously - then finish with shot of booze).  Seriously, this stuff has always worked for me.  Call it psychosomatic - call it and old wives tale - maybe its just the comfort a hot alcoholic drink can bring -  but it has always brought me some relief.  I invite you to try this old family recipe (that i was excited to learn today goes back a few many years) and see if it brings you the same comfort it always does me.

No comments:

Post a Comment