Saturday, March 6, 2010

Alone Time and a New Book

Not the most creative of titles, eh?  C'est la vie.

Some people need lots of alone time to function.  Others can't stand being alone, and surround themselves with people at all time.  Most people fall somewhere in between the two extremes.  Me, I fall pretty closely toward the "needing a lot of alone time" end of things.  I find extended periods of social interaction to be very emotionally draining, as much as I enjoy them (which I do, very much indeed).  I just reach a point where my body and brain are like, well, that was nice, but we're all set with this being social business.  Like now.  Like right now.  Like go-find-a-hole-and-crawl-into-it-immediately-before-you-explode now.  Most of the time I simply a) hide it really well and force myself to deal or b) take an alone break for a few minutes from the situation, and then re-enter feeling much more myself.  Now where am I going with this?

Since I am not working right now, I normally spend a great portion of my day alone.  Until recently, that is.  The hubby lost Old Job on Monday and, consequently, has been spending most of his now free time at home.  With me.  During what used to be alone time.

Now the hubby is the kind of person who always has to be doing something.  And as you can see, I am the exact opposite.  This leads to many squabbles in which he feels I am ignoring him, or not spending enough time with him.  Now that he's been home during normal working hours, these squabbles have been occuring with much more frequency.  It's difficult. 

On the one hand, yayyy the hubby is home and I get the snuggle-pounce him whenever I want and play board games and watch TV and just be with him.  Woohoo!  On the other, all of this is now occuring during what was previously alotted alone time for Katy.  I don't think he understands how weird/confusing/frustrating this is for me.  Not that it isn't all three of those things for him - workaholic guy going from always being busy, to not being very busy at all, with a wife who doesn't seem to want to interact with him.  I can totally get that.  I want to interact, I really do.  I just don't have it in me to be as interactive (which sounds dirty, but totally isn't) as he would prefer.  It's strange situation, but we're muddling through - cutting each other slack when we can, and getting testy when we can't.  No major outbursts thus far, which is good.  I just think it's kind of interesting the ways in which we compromise.  I make him lunch and spend time with him doing something I have zero interest in whatsoever, then he goes and watches some Stargate SG-1 while I take some time alone to blog.

In related news, the hubby is awesome.  So I've been feeling kinda crapulently the past few days.  And he's been kinda on my back about being more interactive and whatnot.  My mood has led me to oversleep, and this always bothers him because his internal clock wakes him up super early, and it cuts into possible interacting time.  Well, this morning (well, afternoon really) I wake up late and begin to prepare myself for a squabble over same.  Instead, the wonderful hubby surprises me with a book he knows I've been dying to read!  He wanted to cheer me up.  And although he was irked over my messed up sleep schedule, he thought of my feelings over his.  What a sweetheart - I knew I married him for a reason.  ;)

Now onto the book!  It's called Horns by Joe Hill, and they actually have an excerpt through the link if yall are curious (it's about a guy who wakes up with a hangover and a pair of horns growing out of his head).  Joe Hill is actually Stephen King's son, and he writes in the horror genre much the same as his father.  Only unlike his father, his writing is much more clever, gritty, and creative (IMHO).  I find most of Stephen King's books these days to have great concepts, but terrible, terrible endings (if you get an ending at all).  I read Joe Hill's first novel, Heart-Shaped Box, a few years ago and fell in love with his writing.  The story was delightfully creepy, and I could not put it down.  If you like horror novels that are more creepy than gorey, I totally recommend Heart-Shaped Box, which I now want to reread because enough time has passed that I don't remember it that well.

I am totally one of those people who loves rereading good books.  The hubby can't understand it.  He's a read it once kind of guy, because there are so many books out there that he feels time shouldn't be wasted on reading one you've already read.  Me?  Rereading a good book is like coming home again.  If it's one you don't remember that well, you get to fall in love with it all over again.  If it's one you can almost recite fully from page one, you're awash with the comfortableness that only comes from knowing something so well that you love.

But first, Horns.  \m/  Can't wait to start it.

~Dorkopotamus (aka Katy)

No comments:

Post a Comment