Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Two Quick Non-Spoilery Movie Reviews

Alice in Wonderland

Overall:  Worth seeing, but very disappointing (though this may have been due to my ludicrously high expectations).

Pros:
  • Helena Bonham Carter, Mia Wasikowska, Alan Rickman
  • Visual effects were stunning
  • I like 3D anything
  • The Tweedles
  • The nods to the animated Disney version (the flowers, the dragon-fly, the rocking-horse-fly)
Cons:
  • Johnny Depp (I know, he's usually amazing, but he just wasn't in this)
  • Story was sooooooo flat, boring, and predictable
  • Mashed together Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass without staying true to either
  • Unbelievable in the "real life" portions
  • Looked like the Mad Hatter and Alice were going to make out at one point - EEWWWW
The Pillow Book

Overall:  BORING.

Pros:
  • Fairly interesting concept for a story
  • Ewan McGregor's penis
  • Turning it off half-way through to play Boggle instead
Cons:
  • Slow and boring
  • Weird, hard to read, subtitles
  • Artsy-fartsy, but not in a good way
~Dorkopotamus (aka Katy)

3 comments:

  1. hey ladies.... I just wanted to let you know that I love reading your blog and think it is great that you guys have remained friends since high school. I have my select few that I still hang out with and those are the ones that will keep with us until the end. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thank you so much!! It means so much to hear that there are people out there actually reading, and enjoying!, our blog! :)

    And I totally agree about "the ones that will keep with us until the end." When you have a friendship like that, you do whatever it takes to make it last.

    Hugs!

    ~Katy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Overall I agree with Katy's review, but I thought Depp deserved more credit. I wouldn't say that his performance was poor, but that the character was written inconsistently. I'm not sure if the inconsistencies were ad libbed or were the result of poor writing, but I didn't feel like I genuinely understood his character's motivations.

    Also, all nipples seemed perfectly normal in this film as I apparently must comment on nipples when replying to a film review.

    ReplyDelete