Monday, March 8, 2010

Cervical Cancer Sure Does Smell Pretty...Wait, WTF?

If you watched the Oscars last night, you may have caught the, how shall I put it, attention-grabbing commercial below.



While it certainly made me, DB, and the hubby sit up straight and go WTF was that all about, I was the only one who was super offended.  Soo...the only way to get women to pay attention to their health is by tricking them, and tricking them with a fake ad for perfume??  Really??  Really?!!  There are so many things wrong with this tactic that it makes my brain hurt.  I mean, I can appreciate them wanting to garner attention to an important health concern.  I get that, I really do.  But the way in which they went about it was just so...wrong.  Personally, I would have appreciated a straight-forward, "cervical cancer is around please be aware" type ad.  When it comes to health issues, I think most women, and men for that matter, don't want to mess around.  These things are serious, and should be treated that way.  Assuming that women are too stupid/silly/easily distracted/only interested in girly stereotypically feminine things/etc. is just plain idiotic.  Women are a lot smarter than the media gives them credit for.

Women don't need to be treated like superficial idiots in order to get their attention, any more than men do (to be completely fair, I would be just as annoyed if they'd done a...I don't know, sports ad?...and then abruptly thrown in a testicular cancer PSA). 

Just ridiculous.

~Dorkopotamus (aka Katy)

Edit:  However, DB makes an excellent and important point, "I know it's bad but if one chick goes to get checked and lives because of it then it's worth every penny."  Agreed 100%.

No comments:

Post a Comment